The Three Sisters and the Post Office Restaurant in Leura
Vic Cherikoff visits Echo Point in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney and drops in to the neighbouring Blue Gum and Leura Post Office restaurants. Echo Point attracts visitors from around the world and offers postcard views of the Three Sisters and out across the Jamison Valley.
Scientists provide the unimaginative explanation that the Three Sisters at Echo Point were carved from the surrounding sandstone cliffs over thousands of years by erosion which can still be seen in action today during a heavy rainstorm as water gushes down between the cracks between the pinnacles.
However the Aboriginal dreamtime story has it that three sisters, ‘Meehni’, ‘Wimlah’ and Gunnedoo’ lived in the Jamison Valley as members of the Katoomba tribe. The three sisters fell in love with three brothers from the Nepean tribe but their tribal laws forbade their marriage. The three brothers did not accept this law and tried to capture the three sisters by force. This caused a major tribal battle and the lives of the three sisters were thus threatened. In order to protect them, a kaditcha man (the tribal magician) turned the sisters into towering stone pillars intending to reverse the spell after the battle. Unfortunately, he was killed in mêlée and the three sisters remain as the enormous and beautiful rock formations until today standing tall at 922m, 918m, and 906m respectively.
After visiting Blue Gum restaurant at Echo Point and delighting in a Wattleseed bread and butter pudding, Vic takes us a short way over to the Leura village and the popular,Leura Post Office Restaurant where chefs Mark and David demonstrate their take on modern Australian cuisine. Drop in for a visit today and enjoy their new menus using native Australian foods. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner daily.
Leura Post Office Restaurant
146-148 The Mall,
Leura, NSW, 2780
Recipes from this Episode
- Alpine peppered venison on rainforest herb linguini
- Lamb Loin with English spinach semi dried tomatoes and bush tomato chutney
- Wattleseed and walnut bread and butter pudding with stewed fruits
Other Episodes from this series
- Swiss Grand at Bondi Beach Sydney
- Margaret River and restaurant Vat 107
- Lillipilli in the Rocks
- Feast Restaurant on Avoca Beach
- The Cowrie Restaurant Terrigal Beach
- Redgum Restaurant at Boronia House Mosman
- Crowne Plaza Newcastle
- Hydro Majestic Hotel in the Blue Mountains
- Buderim Ginger and Bistro C in Noosa on the Sunshine Coast
- Australia Day on Sydney Harbour