Redgum Restaurant at Boronia House Mosman
This episode, Vic Cherikoff visits Redgum Restaurant inside the historic Boronia House in the northern Sydney suburb of Mosman. Originally located at the corso in Manly, Uli and Sean’s Redgum Restaurant relocated to Boronia House in 2001 when the Manly Pier was being renovated.
Built in 1885, Boronia House is listed as one of the finest on the heritage register and has a timeless quality. The wooden floorboards, open fireplaces and high ornate ceilings create a feeling of grandeur. Fully refurbished in 1997 the house offers a style that affords a sense of space, light and harmony. The French doors open onto the surrounding veranda’ which overlooks the grounds and gardens. On a sunny Sunday afternoon you could believe that you are on a country estate surrounded by areas of open space instead of being 30 metres from the busy Military road. Inside, the restaurant is decorated in the warm colours of the Australian outback with large pieces of Aboriginal art adorning the walls and displays of native Australian flowers and greenery completing the fusion of Victorian and contemporary style.
Redgum’s menu is a combination of European/Asian cooking with the influence of Australian herbs and spices with dishes such as Calamari with passionfruit and Mountain Pepper BBQ Sauce, Salt bush lamb with kumara smash and for dessert a gumleaf brulee.
Redgum Restaurant has since closed, and Boronia house operates as a wedding and function centre. However, Chef Ulli has migrated to Queensland and runs a highly successful Australian themed restaurant called Picnics at the Rocks at Yandina about an hour and a half north of Brisbane.
624 Military Rd
Mosman, NSW, 2088
Recipes from this Episode
- Coconut and Lemon Myrtle brulée
- Panfried monkfish with bunya nut hash, rocket and macadamia nut pesto
- Saltbush Lamb with kumara smash
Other Episodes from this series
- Swiss Grand at Bondi Beach Sydney
- Margaret River and restaurant Vat 107
- Lillipilli in the Rocks
- Feast Restaurant on Avoca Beach
- The Cowrie Restaurant Terrigal Beach
- Crowne Plaza Newcastle
- Hydro Majestic Hotel in the Blue Mountains
- Buderim Ginger and Bistro C in Noosa on the Sunshine Coast
- Australia Day on Sydney Harbour
- Banjo Patterson’s Restaurant on the Parramatta River