Crowne Plaza Newcastle
Benjamin Christie drives 2 hours north of Sydney to visit his mate, Nick Flynn who is Executive Chef of the new Crowne Plaza Newcastle. Nick, apart from looking after banqueting and room service also heads up the Crowne Plaza’s Breeze restaurant and bar. The menu presents a range of renowned Hunter Valley produce and native ingredients in a fresh, modern style. Two of the dishes Nick presents are Laksa lemak ayam (chicken with noodles in a spiced coconut broth) and Lemon aspen crème caramel with rosella compote.
The Crowne Plaza Newcastle is located directly on the foreshore of Newcastle Harbour and nestled amongst the historical maritime buildings of the Honeysuckle Precinct. The hotel has been built to reflect the harbour’s excitement, with most rooms looking directly onto the fascinating activity of ferries, trawlers, rowers and fishing boats. The harbour and Port of Newcastle remains the economic and trade centre for the resource-rich Hunter Valley and for much of the north and northwest of New South Wales. Newcastle continues to be the world’s busiest coal export port with over 3,000 shipping movements each year.
With the closure of the BHP steel works in 2000 many see the era of heavy industry as past. However, this vision contrasts with Newcastle’s role as a massive coal export point and the Hunter Valley’s ongoing role in coal and aluminium production. And in spite of the extractive industries prominence, Newcastle is a great place to visit to explore its coastal scenic beauty, night-life and great dining venues.
Cnr Merewether Street and Wharf Road
Newcastle, NSW, 2300
Recipes from this Episode
- Aussie burger and chips
- Polenta and Lemon Aspen cake with sugar bag and Wild Rosella Cream
- Seafood laksa with wild limes and lemon myrtle linguini
Other Episodes from this series
- Swiss Grand at Bondi Beach Sydney
- Margaret River and restaurant Vat 107
- Lillipilli in the Rocks
- Feast Restaurant on Avoca Beach
- The Cowrie Restaurant Terrigal Beach
- Redgum Restaurant at Boronia House Mosman
- Hydro Majestic Hotel in the Blue Mountains
- Buderim Ginger and Bistro C in Noosa on the Sunshine Coast
- Australia Day on Sydney Harbour
- Banjo Patterson’s Restaurant on the Parramatta River